FAQ: non pied youngsters from dominant pied x dominant pied

FAQ: normal green – non pied – youngsters from a couple dominant pied x dominant pied, is this possible?

Of course it is.

Since a bird has two genes for dominant pied, it can be single factored (SF) dominant pied (only one gene of the pair is mutated) or it can be double factored (both genes of the pair are mutated). If we combine SF dominant pied x SF dominant pied, we have 25% probability of normal – non pied – youngsters. 50% probability of SF dominant pied and 25% probability of DF dominant pied.

Keep in mind that, there is no visual difference in DF or SF dominant pied birds.